Inktober 2026 - 10 - Mystical

“I have to admit, your facilites are impressive.”
The school principal smiled humbly at the mother she had just been giving a tour to.
“Thank you. We do hope they live up to expectations for students and parents alike.”
“To be perfectly honest with you, I do have concerns about my son possibly facing… discrimination, if he were to be enrolled here.”
“Has bullying been a problem for him in the past?” inquired the principal, a worried crease appearing on her forehead.
“No, but… well… he is a human being, like me. A regular human being, without any particular gift or appendage like most of your students seem to have.”
The mother gestured at a group of young children running around the playground a few meters away: some of them had horns, others wings, some had both. Most of them jumped higher and ran faster than you would expect any human child their age to be able too, exhibiting superior physical strength.
“I understand your concern, but I assure you, our activities are tailored to our students. And our teachers are more than equipped to ensure the safety of their charges.”
“I believe your intentions, but I can’t help but worry about him.”
“If I may ask, why would you take this tour if you feel so strongly about him being around people different than him?”
“It’s not just difference, I do hope you know this.”
“I do. That does not answer my question, however.”
The mother sighed. She was not annoyed or upset, just tired.
“He insisted. He is fascinated by all this, by superpowers, magic, the occult, … But I worry he only sees the wonder in it, and not the danger.”
“With all due respect, being in direct contact with the object of his fascination is a sure way to make him understand its complexity.”
“But at what cost?”
The principal chuckled, wondering what this parent could possibly be picturing in her mind.
“Ideally, none. Children do have to learn that dog are not just fun companions but can also bite, that cats are not just soft animals but can scratch, that fire warms but also burns. That does not mean they need to get bitten, scratched, or burned. But it is much easier for them to understand the risk if they are around dogs, cats, and fires.”
The mother sighed again. She knew all this. She also knew there already were human children at this school, and others like it. They were not the only human family to be aware of a much bigger universe than the rest of their species and have that option. And yet, she still worried.
“I would also like to point out that being a ‘regular’ human being, as you put it, is in no way a flaw. Your child is not at a disadvantage, here. If anything, it’s the opposite,” added the principal.
“How so?” asked the mother, unconvinced.
“Humans have the most paths open to them. The are capable of developing new abilities where more deterministic species often don’t.”
Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire
Alors ? Ça vous a plu ?